September 13, 2012
Advisory Council Named for 16th Texas Tech University President Search
The 26-member council is chaired by Regent Nancy Neal and represents a larger constituency of the Texas Tech family.
Written by Jaryn Jones
Texas Tech University System Chancellor Kent Hance today (September 12) named an advisory council to assist in selecting the next president of Texas Tech University.
“The advisory council will serve as a valuable resource to our search process,” Hance said. “This group of individuals will offer a variety of perspectives as we seek to find the ideal candidate for the next president of Texas Tech University.”
The 26-member council is chaired by Nancy Neal, member of the Board of Regents and a 1985 graduate of Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. Former Regent Scott Dueser will serve as the vice chairman.
Neal said the advisory council serves as a larger representation of the university and includes representatives from several Texas Tech constituencies including faculty, administration, staff, students and community members.
“As Texas Tech continues to grow, it is imperative that we identify a leader who will drive our forward progress,” Neal said. “We are seeking a large and diverse pool of applicants to ensure we find the best possible candidate for the next president. The advisory council will assist Chancellor Hance and the search committee in identifying individuals that relate to all members of the Texas Tech family.”
The council will also help with initial screenings and provide updates on the progress of the search to their respective constituency groups. Candidate recommendations will be forwarded on to the chancellor. The final selection will be made by the chancellor, who will make the appointment with the prior approval of the Board of Regents.
Members of the advisory council include:
- Nancy Neal (chairwoman) - Chairman, Academic, Clinical & Student Affairs Committee, Board of Regents, Texas Tech University System; Lubbock
- F. Scott Dueser (vice chairman) - Former chairman, Board of Regents, Texas Tech University System; member, Texas Tech Foundation, Inc.; president and CEO, First Financial Bankshares, Inc.; Abilene
- Jodey Arrington - Vice Chancellor for Research, Commercialization and Federal Relations, Texas Tech University System
- Stephen Bayne - Associate professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Edward E. Whitacre Jr. College of Engineering, Texas Tech University
- Loretta J. Bradley, Ph.D. - Horn Professor and Coordinator, Counselor Education, College of Education, Texas Tech University
- Mindy Brashears - Professor, Animal and Food Sciences, College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources; director, International Center for Food Industry Excellence, Texas Tech University
- Dana Craig - Member, Chancellor’s Council Advisory Committee; Texas Tech University alumna, Lubbock
- Bill Dean, Ph.D. - Executive vice president and CEO, Texas Tech Alumni Association; associate professor, College of Media and Communication, Texas Tech University
- Carol D. Edwards, Ph.D. - Dean and professor, College of Visual and Performing Arts, Texas Tech University
- Tyler Enos - Senior finance major, Rawls College of Business; president, President’s Select, Texas Tech University
- Jeff Hays, J.D. - President, Staff Senate; Attorney at Law, Student Legal Services, Texas Tech University
- Cassandra "Sandy" L. Henry - Member, Texas Tech Alumni Association National Board of Directors; president, Science Spectrum; Texas Tech University alumna; Lubbock
- Mickey L. Long - Vice chairman, Board of Regents, Texas Tech University System; president, Westex Well Service, LP; Midland
- Terry McInturff, J.D. - Director, Energy Commerce Program, Rawls College of Business, Texas Tech University
- Brian Newby, J.D. - Former vice chairman, Board of Regents, Texas Tech University System; counsel, Cantey & Hanger LLP; Fort Worth
- Kelly Overly, Ed.D. - Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement, Texas Tech University System
- Dale Redman - Member, Texas Tech Foundation Inc.; Texas Tech University alumnus, Midland
- Paul S. Ruiz, J.D. - Assistant director, Institutional Diversity, Equity and Community Engagement, Texas Tech University
- Linda Rutherford - Member, Texas Tech Alumni Association National Board of Directors; vice president, Communications and Strategic Outreach, Southwest Airlines; Texas Tech alumna; Carrollton
- Al Sacco Jr., Ph.D. - Dean, Edward E. Whitacre Jr. College of Engineering, Texas Tech University
- Brian Shannon, J.D. - Faculty representative, NCAA and Big XII Conference; Charles “Tex” Thornton Professor of Law, Texas Tech University
- John D. Steinmetz - Member, Board of Regents, Texas Tech University System; president, Lubbock Market, Vista Bank, Lubbock
- Suzanne Taylor - Student regent, Board of Regents, Texas Tech University System; 3rd-year law student and former student government president, Texas Tech University
- Betsy Triplett-Hurt - Former chairwoman, Texas Tech Foundation Inc.; Texas Tech University alumna; Odessa
- Bobby Waddle - Member, Texas Tech Alumni Association National Board of Directors; Texas Tech University alumnus; DeSoto
- Aliza Wong, Ph.D. - Member, Faculty Senate, associate chair and associate professor, Department of History, College of Arts and Sciences, Texas Tech University
The advisory council will work in conjunction with the 17-member presidential search committee. Daniel Nathan, faculty senate president, was added to the search committee as a voting member. Nathan serves as an associate professor and the director of graduate studies in the Texas Tech University Department of Philosophy.
Dr. Lawrence Schovanec, who has served as dean of the College of Arts & Sciences since 2010, was recently named interim president by the chancellor and will assume the duties of president until a replacement is named. AGB Search has been retained to assist with the search committee.