Texas Tech President Search Committee
The Search Committee consists of 17 members who will help identify potential candidates, assist with initial screenings of candidates and ensure that their respective constituency groups are kept up-to-date on the progress of the search. Candidate recommendations will be forwarded to the Chancellor.
The final selection will be made by the Chancellor, who will seek confirmation of his choice by the Board of Regents.
There are 11 voting-members of the committee. Voting members of the search committee include the following individuals:
- Mr. Jerry E. Turner (chairman) - Chairman, Board of Regents, Texas Tech University System; Senior Partner, Andrews Kurth, LLP; Blanco, Texas
- Mr. Larry K. Anders - Member, Board of Regents, Texas Tech University System; Chairman/CEO, Summit Alliance Companies; Dallas
- Robert Baker, Ph.D. - Horn Professor, Biological Sciences, and Director, Natural Science Research Laboratory, Texas Tech University
- Michael Galyean, Ph.D. - Horn Professor, Thornton Distinguished Chair, and Dean, College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources, Texas Tech University
- Linda C. Hoover, Ph.D. - Dean, College of Human Sciences, Texas Tech University
- Mrs. Debbie Montford - Member, Board of Regents, Texas Tech University System; community volunteer; San Antonio
- Daniel Nathan, Ph.D. - President of the Faculty Senate, associate professor and director of graduate studies, Department of Philosphy, Texas Tech University
- Vickie Sutton, M.P.A., Ph.D., J.D. - Horn Professor, and Director, Center for Biodefense, Law & Public Policy, School of Law, Texas Tech University
- Mr. Robert Taylor - CEO, United Supermarkets; Texas Tech University alumnus; Lubbock
- Mr. John B. Walker - Member, Board of Regents, Texas Tech University System; President/CEO, EnerVest, Ltd.; Houston
- Mr. Edward E. Whitacre - Texas Tech University alumnus; former corporate executive; San Antonio
There are also six non-voting members of the committee. Non-voting members include the following individuals:
- Mr. Alex E. Alston - President of the Student Government Association, senior Restaurant & Hotel Institutional Management major, Texas Tech University; San Antonio
- Mr. Kyle Clark - Chief Financial Officer and Vice President for Administration & Finance, Texas Tech University
- Ms. Grace Hernandez - President’s Chief of Staff and Assistant Vice President for Administration, Texas Tech University
- Mr. Kirby Hocutt - Director of Intercollegiate Athletics, Texas Tech University
- Mr. Michael Molina - Vice Chancellor for Facilities Planning & Construction, Texas Tech University System
- Joseph C. Rallo, Ph.D. - President, Angelo State University; Vice Chancellor-designate of Academic Affairs, Texas Tech University System
Search Committee's Charge
In fulfilling its charge, the Texas Tech University Presidential Search Committee (“Search Committee”) shall be guided by the following:
- Position Description - In consultation with the Search Committee chair, the Chancellor will provide a position description for the President that reflects Texas Tech University’s current needs and opportunities. The Search Committee shall use this as a guide in the recruitment, screening and evaluation of candidates.
- President’s Compensation - The range of compensation shall be set by the Chancellor, with prior review and advice by the Board of Regents. The Search Committee will be able to discuss with candidates a compensation range that is competitive with Texas Tech University’s peer institutions.
- Search Consultant - Robert W. Lawless, Ph.D., Search Consultant with AGB Search, will assist the Chancellor and the Search Committee throughout the search process.
- Candidate Pool - The Search Committee will conduct a search that is national in scope, with the goal of producing a significant number of qualified candidates. The Search Committee should adopt a comprehensive process for the solicitation of applicants and nominees.
- Screening of Candidates - Through the review of information provided for applicants and nominees, checking of references, interviews with appropriate candidates, and other activities the Search Committee deems appropriate, the Search Committee shall determine a set of “semi-finalist” candidates that best meets the position description for the President of Texas Tech University.
- Committee Recommendation - The Search Committee shall nominate at least three and a maximum of four acceptable candidates to be recommended to the Chancellor on an unranked basis. In turn and in accordance with the Regents’ Rules (which provide that the Presidents of Texas Tech system component institutions shall be appointed by the Chancellor with the prior approval of the Board of Regents), the Chancellor will make the final selection and appointment.
- Timeline - The Search Committee shall begin its work immediately. While a swift conclusion of the search is desirable, it is more important that the Search Committee identify and bring forward highly qualified candidates that represent the right “fit” for Texas Tech University. Texas Tech University is fortunate that Dr. Lawrence Schovanec will serve as Interim President until the search is concluded.
- Staff Assistance- Ben Lock, Executive Assistant to the Chancellor and Secretary of the Board of Regents, is designated as staff coordinator for the Search Committee. The necessary level of staff support for the Search Committee shall be available at the direction of the Chancellor and the Search Committee chairman.