Top Control Activities Faculty Should Do
- Limit those with access to your labs and offices including graduate students to ensure that property and research efforts are protected against loss.
- Always back up critical data. Never leave a laptop in a vehicle or other places where it will be exposed to theft.
- Always be sure that research log records are secured against loss or unintentional destruction. Make sure graduate students who are leaving provide you with any records they were responsible for maintaining.
- Review your financial ledgers and payroll distribution reports monthly and ensure that charges are reasonable and appropriate since you will be held responsible for these charges. Make sure you understand the financial rules governing your grant activities don't rely on others to tell you what is acceptable.
- When collaborating with others, don't rely on the old fashion hand shake agreements, make sure ownership of intellectual property is documented and that roles and responsibilities have been formally communicated.
- Be cautious when entering and leaving the buildings at odd times since the decrease in traffic results in an increased security risk to you personally.
- Never sign something you don't completely understand and have not completed reviewed.