December 10, 2010
2010 Chancellor’s Council Distinguished Teaching, Research Awards Announced
Chancellor Hance and TTUHSC President Tedd L. Mitchell with the 2010 Distinguished Teaching and Research Award recipients at TTUHSC.
The highest awards given by the Texas Tech University System to faculty members at its member institutions were announced today (Dec. 10) by Chancellor Kent Hance.
The annual Texas Tech University System Chancellor’s Council Distinguished Teaching and Research Awards went to eight faculty members from Texas Tech University, six faculty members from Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) and two faculty members from Angelo State University.
“These outstanding faculty members exemplify the quality and character of the professors in the Texas Tech University System,” said Hance. “Their passion and dedication to academics and research is unmatched and is apparent through their hard work and numerous achievements. It is my pleasure to once again award these honors to such deserving faculty members.”
The Distinguished Research Awards went to the following individuals:
- Eric Hequet, associate professor in the Department of Plant and Soil Science and associate director of the Fiber and Biopolymer Research Institute at Texas Tech
Chancellor Hance and Texas Tech President Guy Bailey with the 2010 Distinguished Teaching and Research Award recipients at Texas Tech.
- Robert Kirby, associate professor in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at Texas Tech
- Zenaida Aguirre-Muñoz, associate professor in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction at Texas Tech
- G. Tyge Payne, associate professor in the Area of Management at Texas Tech
- Sid O’Bryant, assistant professor in the Department of Neurology at TTUHSC
- Luis Reuss, chair and professor in the Department of Cell Physiology and Molecular Biophysics at TTUHSC
- Ming-Hai Wang, professor and Amarillo Community Endowed Chair in the Department of Biomedical Sciences at TTUHSC
- Loren K. Ammerman, associate professor in the Department of Biology at Angelo State
The Distinguished Teaching Awards went to the following individuals:
Chancellor Hance and Angelo State President Joseph Rallo with the 2010 Distinguished Teaching and Research Award recipients at Angelo State.
- Gerry Beyer, Governor Preston E. Smith Regents Professor of Law at Texas Tech
- Loretta Bradley, Horn Professor in the Department of Educational Psychology at Texas Tech
- Markus Miller, professor and San Antonio Livestock Show Distinguished Chair in Meat Science in the Department of Animal and Food Sciences at Texas Tech
- Audra Morse, associate professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, at Texas Tech
- John Pelley, associate professor in the Department of Cell Biology & Biochemistry at TTUHSC
- Michael Ragain, professor and chair of the Department of Family & Community Medicine and the Braddock Chair of the Department of Family and Community Medicine at TTUHSC
- Dawndra Sechrist, assistant professor and director of the Master of Occupational Therapy program at TTUHSC
- David Bixler, associate professor in the Department of Physics at Angelo State
This is the tenth year for the Chancellor’s Council to present the awards. The winners each receive a medallion and a $5,000 cash award. The Chancellor’s Council raises funds for student scholarships and recruitment, faculty awards and support, as well as other programs.
Dailey Fuller, Office of Communications and Marketing, Texas Tech University System, (806) 742-0057, firstname.lastname@example.org